Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strip a dyed guitar

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by jayroc1, Feb 11, 2018.

1. jayroc1

jayroc1 TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2015
    vancouver
    What's an Easy way of stripping a dyed guitar with a shellac base coat? Wanting to redo it from the bare wood

Just sandpaper and elbow grease?

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Yes sir, if it was direct dyed then you'll be better off with and orbital sander as the dye will have penetrated deep enough that you'll need to remove a fine layer of wood to get all the color off.

No way to augment the current color in the direction you want? You could mix a shellac shader to brighten or dampen a color. A shader being an extremely weak tinted clear that is meant to shift color.

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Are you trying to get rid of all the dye color? If so, well, it would be easier to get a new body.

If it was initially dyed on the bare wood I must agree with drASATtele: getting all the dye color out will be a major project. The dye goes way into the wood at some places, noticeably on end grain. The word "dye" implies that the color is dissolved down to its individual molecules. This is why dyes let the grain show through. It is also why the dyes soak way way down into the guitar on end grain. Sorry.

4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The only way other than sanding is using two part bleach and with several application.

5. It depends on if the body was sealed before the dye or dye directly to wood. If it was sealed first it wont be a problem. Since shellac disolves in alcohol just soak it with an alcohol rag and scrape layers off. You will have to do some sanding regardless but will go thru much less clogging of sand paper.

If it was dyed on bare wood you won't get all the color out without really taking some wood off. You might consider using the dye remaining in the figure after sanding to accent the figure, much like dark dying and sanding back on figured wood.

6. jayroc1

jayroc1 TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2015
    vancouver
    I managed to strip it with sand paper. i noticed when I applied tru oil over a dye finish on a piece of practice wood that the dye still would rub off on my hand. Do I just need to apply a ton of tru oil to stop the aniline dye from running out? Or should I seal it with shellac?

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    YES! Seal it with shellac, then the TO.
    Spray the shellac with a Pre-Val system if you are making your own.
    The issue with the TO is well most of us wipe it on. Oil based products tend to stay wet, re-wetting any stain in the wood bring it to the surface where the rag moves it a round often removing a lot of color or causing uneven color. Shellac, another often hand applied finish, is great for sealing but has similar issues as TO with the exception that it dries pretty fast. I've seen movement in the color/stain when apply shellac with a rag or brush so I suggest spraying it with a Pre-Val unit. You can use the Zinsser rattle can stuff too, it can be a little more work because of the chem in that product but it does the job as well.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It''d probably be best to use 2-step wood bleach. Otherwise the dye could continue to re-wet and bleed through the sealer or coating no matter what you apply. It can be very difficult to completely eradicate dye without bleaching, even though you may not see it until you start applying materials again.

This isn't laundry bleach. Wood bleaches are found in woodworking stores and online.

Flakey likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.