Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super strats were an eighties guitar fad, but many people forgot there was another fad going on.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    Ah, Eddie Van Halen, to call him "revolutionary" would the the biggest understatement of all time.

Almost over night everybody and their goldfish wanted a guitar with just the bridge pickup and a double locking whammy and companies were all too glad to comply as high end makers like Robin...
    [​IMG]
    ...and cheap as chips brands like Hondo...
    [​IMG]
    Were seeing a profitable market and readily exploited it. Even Fender and Gibson were having a go at it.

But around that same time there was another kind of guitar gaining popularity quickly. Although with this one it can't be put on one player in particular who made the world turn around and go "Whoa, what is that, I want one!" But more a case of "Howard Leese is playing one, Carlos Santana is playing one, Joe Perry is playing one and didn't I see Ted Nugent playing one?"
    [​IMG]
    The PRS 24 was as much a game changer as Eddie's Frankenstrat was but different from the super strat mania, people forgot that PRS copies were everywhere for a while during the eighties.

[​IMG]
    Washburn had their RS-10 series

[​IMG]
    Fender had the Heartfield Elan

[​IMG]
    Gibson had the Epiphone Del Rey

and Ibanez had the Artfield series
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now 30- odd years on, none of those survive but PRS is going stronger than ever.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Fascinating!
    I was caught up in the Super Strat thing in the mid 80s (I owned an HSS Contemporary Tele from 1986) but didn’t really register the PRS-a-likes. I don’t remember hearing about or seeing the Heartfield guitars at all!

24 track likes this.

3. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    PRS gave birth to the glorious genre of drop tuned Cookie Monster rock.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I have a Tele Contemporary. I replaced that bridge contraption with a more-or-less standard bridge from Ibanez. It is a very well-made instrument.

24 track likes this.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    One of my bands is very lucky to have a band that sounds exactly like that in the rehearsal space next to ours. Nothing but hastily slapped-together sheets of 5/8" plywood between us. Well, just like that, but louder. If we show up for rehearsal when they are rehearsing, we put in earplugs, wait for 15 minutes to see if it will stop, then shake hands and go home. We once tried politely to knock, talk about how thin the walls were and how volume wars weren't going to help anyone. We were not-so-politely told to F-off. Fair enough. It's a rehearsal space. The glory of rock and roll. Sorry for the tangent.

6. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    I only had Telecasters as my main player. I once bought a Tele Deluxe and my friends laughed at me for buying a Telecaster with a Strat neck. It had to go.

Guitar snobs.......

Crafty Fox and 24 track like this.

7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I fell for the PRS allure back in the nineties. Very nice guitars. SuperStrats have their place too and I have a Jackson. Still, for me, it always comes back to Telecasters, Gretsch, Les Pauls and Stratocasters. And Fenders and Marshalls for amps. I'm just stuck in the past, I suppose.

24 track and RetroTeleRod like this.

8. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Maybe before the next rehearsal you should swing by the grocery store and get them a few packs of Chips Ahoy to keep them busy while you guys practice.

aerhed, 24 track and MilwMark like this.

9. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    but you know, sometimes banging on the walls can revive your career

I'm really off topic but to stay on topic some of those copies look more like Hamer Sunbursts

and while PRS has a lot of visibility its tiny compared to fender or gibson

24 track and bottlenecker like this.

10. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

It's funny how the single pickup phenomenon took off, yet guitars with single bridge pickups date back to the 1950s.

At the time, I really disliked the trend, I was into Teles, acoustics and had I had the cash at the time, I craved something like a Jazzmaster.

I now actually like the idea of stripped down guitars, and I have an 80s single pickup guitar in my collection, that is one half snake-head Tele and the other half pointy hair-metal.

Westone Clipper 6, one of the last of the Matsumoku ones;-

[​IMG]

Mind you the original pickup in these was a very low output one which was two single coils in a humbucker shaped setting. I swapped it out for something lairier.

As for PRS, never really liked the really glossy ones, and I prefer the SE singlecut models.

24 track likes this.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I saved a lot of money, during that era.

Sure, I preferred the Hamers and the PRS style guitar better than the Pointy stuff, but I still didn't buy them.

I kept my wallet in my pocket and waited to the market to come back to me. And largely, it has.

+

You know, if only I had liked the feel of the neck section, maybe. But no, every neck had to be shreddy-thin. Sorry, cannot have my money if the neck is thin and flat like that.

Newbcaster, Crafty Fox and 24 track like this.

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I love thin necks - even today. Even though I wasn't a guitarist back in the day (bass player), I had a Kramer single HB shredder. Loved that guitar. Wished I'd never got rid. :(

24 track likes this.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I still have my Yamaha "Superstrat" from the late '80s. It's a really great guitar. The workmanship is excellent and it sounds great. It's kind of heavy for me, though, and I don't play it anymore. I've been trying to sell it, but no-one wants it.

24 track likes this.

14. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    You forgot Ned SteinbergER.

(edit cuase I don't spel so gud)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    24 track, don71 and TwangyWhammy like this.

16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    My skill level never got to Super Strat level. I'm still at tag sale guitar level.

Flat6Driver, 24 track and drlucky like this.

17. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Nicely put together post blazer, thank you. I remember those times.

I wonder where some of these guitars are now a days?

Generically speaking, these factories and brands blow out thousands of guitars every day. I some times have to wonder where do they all go? This question is probably a post in its own right.

24 track and skantzos like this.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Area '53

24 track and 3fngrs like this.

19. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Er..Ned Steinberger. Yea, pretty neat design, Heavy block, Floyd Rose but re-engineered. Yea, and no head stock. Some folks really like that.

24 track and telleutelleme like this.

20. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I was drawn to PRS in the late '80's. I've always been a Strat and Fender guy. I thought the super Strats looked cool but I wanted as close to the real thing as possible. So '86 I ended up with the only new Strat option at the time, a Contemporary model with the System 1 locking trem, bought new at Manny's. The fact it had the locking bar was a plus at the time but I eventually grew frustrated with it (still had tuning issues, but hey it was white like Jimi's & Stevies!). I probably wasted more time dive bombing the thing and trying to play in a style that isn't me. I moved up to a '62 RI a couple years later which is more suited to me.

I remember seeing the original PRS ads in Guitar Player at the time and thinking they looked real nice. One day in early '90 I was in a local store that carried PRS and was drawn to a Custom (there was no Custom 22 or 24 at the time) in tortise shell. I obssesed over it and the catalog for months.

IMG_1651.jpg

I eventually got the guitar, ($1,500 at the time) which due to a stupid accident, doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced with a '93 which became my main player for many years.

IMG_1653.jpg

It's a great playing and well made guitar. The original locking tuners are rock solid and it stays in tune very well, even with heavy bar use. The neck shape and feel is near perfect to me. I eventually thought the stock HFS and bass pickups were too hot and muddy for my tastes. They were replaced in the late '90's with an original set of Dragons that I bought used from Sam Ash for $100! It can cover a lot of ground style and sound wise, although at times I wish it had a tone control in conjunction with the sweet switch. I know they kind of have a rep these days for more metal type styles but I've always used it for more main stream, classic rock and bluesy stuff. These days, though, my '52 RI Tele and Heritage archtop see the most use, but the PRS is always on the rack within arms reach. I do have to admit, though, that as much as I like this guitar I've had a hard time getting excited about their current offerings.

Also, I like the birds and headstock and am not a dentist or lawyer!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.