Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The BOSS Katana 50 is a game-changer.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adamlovesgin, Mar 9, 2018.

1. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Define better. Lots of jazz guys prefer the 50.

twotone60 likes this.

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    It's more about the weight. I'd quite like to use it home and away, but my days of humping even slightly heavy amps are over.

3. dogbert

dogbert TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    Gotta say I wasn't terribly impressed by some youtube videos I watched. Especially in comparison to something like the Avid Eleven Rack, which I've seen dialed in next to mesa boogie halfstacks, and A/B it's almost indistinguishable. But it's better than the wonder-modeller-practice amps I was playing with in my teens, from line 6 and peavey and roland and whatnot. I guess if you're into lots of effects and different sounds, it's a huge bargain.

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't know why you're arguing, you don't own the gear and haven't tried it out.
    You could easily do that. Very easily, without touching the amp, and you could have a boost as well. Patch 1 would be BOOST FLANGER DELAY (you can set reverb to be delay instead). Within Patch 1 you can turn on / off these effects individually. Patch 2 would be BOOST CHORUS DELAY, again within patch 2 you can turn each effect on / off. If you had all 8 patches chock full like this (That's a lot of combos!), you could do this all within one patch - just reach behind you between songs and hit the little MOD/DELAY button to toggle between the Flange and the Chorus.

I have done this live already, and I am about to play a set of Police covers using just this kind of setup, I need clean & dirty tones with & without Chorus, Flange, and Delay depending on the song. I've got one clean patch and one dirty patch, I may want to set a third patch just for a specific song too.

You can't come close to this with the 50, but the 100 w/ GAFC - Man.

5. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The crunch setting at low gain with either the onboard BD2 or a Klon clone (Tone Bakery Crème Brulee) between guitar and amp and the 1/2 watt setting comes closer to cranked tube tone at bedroom volume than anything else I've ever tried.

6. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    It's a good amp out of the box, without even playing with the effects. I wouldn't base an opinion on anything I heard on Youtube, only on trying something for myself.

If you think practice amps were bad in your teens, just be thankful you're a mere youngster.

bsman and Tony474 like this.

7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Agreed - with my Soul Food it's extremely touch sensitive. I prefer the MatchDrive amp setting with gain around noon, myself, but same deal.
    My "bedroom volume" keeps getting louder and louder though...the 1/2 watt setting on the 100w212 can get near rehearsal volume.

8. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Mine too. My Katana is considerably lighter then my Princeton Reverb.

9. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    You guys think it’ll kill the valve amp industry? I bet no one has talked about that yet.

10. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

So, is it EL-84's ......... Gotta love them suckers in a small package!

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Ignore the word "better." I should have quoted @tfarny "Richer and sweeter with a great bass response." for context.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY

13. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Yeah, I get where you're coming from. You have an opinion, as do I.

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    if my boss katana 100w head had a decent vox model in it, it would probably have become my main gigging amp... i know theres the sneaky amps or whatever but i found it to be a pain to operate. it should have a vox sound right out of the box and cover all the bases! i love everything about the katana other than that small detail which is an essential sound for me.

15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    I played the 50 and 100. Will it kill tube amps? Yes, if someone who actually compares it side by side with an actual tube amp lacks any semblance of tonal sense. I put a Fender DRRI next to these and it wasn't even close.

Now did they have a bunch of cool buttons and fx. Yes, they did.

T Prior likes this.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Different speaker, larger cabinet, and more headroom. It all contributes.

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    When I was a teenager (eighties), all we had for low-priced practice amps was mainly Peavey transistor amps with that "Saturation" circuit that absolutely nailed the tone of a table saw. That, or the Scholz Rockman, which was pretty cutting edge for the time and sounded great- if you wanted to sound just like Boston...

18. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I have the 50, with four presets. When I set up the amp using Tone Studio, I saved each of the four presets as a separate Sneaky Amp: Matchless, Fender Twin, Orange, Plexi. The Matchless I set up with a Treble Booster instead of a Blues Driver. I haven't hooked it up to a computer since then, but my Vox sound is a button away if I need it.

19. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    yeah someone should start a thread ! I bet we would get a couple of thousand hits ! :)

20. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    50W Kat owner here. Also own multiple vintage epic amps. The Kat is a good amp. However its not better sounding than my classic tube amps. Its convenient. Easy to dial in decent tones. Light. Great practice amp. Noodling amp extraordiaore. Not a warm glassy 62 Vibrolux. Hardly a 5E3. Got Nothing on a warm Twin Reverb. Its good. Just not THAT good.

I use mine daily at home. It sits right beside my other amps. If I want quick and easy I turn on the Katana. My tube amps often get a few pedals in front. Dirt, reverb etc. after some time with the Kat I plug in the tube amps and am reminded they are indeed sweeter sounding.

gkterry, Guitandanza and twobuckchuck like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.