Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The BOSS Katana 50 is a game-changer.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adamlovesgin, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I turned 64 this year and weight for me is highest on the list for my new combo choice.
    It's got to sound good too.
    I've always been a tube player,but have been open mined in my search.
    I tried a Katana,but wasn't to my taste.
    I tried a Blues Cube Stage and that one ticked the boxes for me.
    I'm currently on the hunt for a used Blues Cube Artist.
    At 35 lbs. it is manageable.

2. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    This is what I do with my BOSS ME80..... How bout a Katana with just amp Sims......ooops my ME80 has that too..... Not knocking the Katana but I love the pedal format of the ME series..had a mustang iii and sold it.

3. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I never said you had to do all of that, or even that you should do it. You were saying Katana couldn't do this or that, and you were wrong. The Katana has the same software as the Boss GT1 in it, but it requires the GAFC controller to make it all usable live.
    Use what you like, I don't care, just don't misinform people.

beagle likes this.

4. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Me thinks you are mixing up peoples posts here....I didn't say the Katana couldn't do anything one way or another....
    Cheers

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Sorry! You're right, my fault. Have a good one.

ce24 likes this.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    If I was going to buy a new SS amp, The Katana 50 would be the one.

7. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Two guys I really respect as players (one of whom is a boutique pedal designer/builder) have started using Katanas live within the past year. I haven't even tried one yet, but sounds like it might be a solution for part of my never-ending downsizing quest.

8. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I love my Katana 50, and keep discovering new things - the DI is great for recording. It's quick and quiet, by the time I've woken a valve amp up and sorted it's sulks out I've forgotten what I wanted to do in the first place. I've recorded a few things with the Katana where I expected to go back and do the track "properly", but later discovered that I didn't need to. And, much to my surprise the dreaded 50 cycle hum is hardly evident. The other revelation is how good the acoustic channel is. I know this is a Telecaster forum, but many of us also play acoustic guitars, mandolins and dobro's. I initially bought the Katana for bar gigs with the Tele. I've now had the chance to gig the Martin, Mandolin and dobro, and it's really good. I wouldn't play a sit down concert with it, but for bars, pubs and clubs it's just the thing. I get the occasional gig where I have to play Lap Steel, Mando, Dobro and Tele. I can now set 4 different channels up, and just take the Katana, the instruments and one cable. Well done Boss!

9. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Really liking the Katana 50. Huge bang for the buck. Come on, 2 bills plus change....amazing.

10. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Really happy with my 50. The smaller cab and lighter speaker (now that it's broken in) give it a warmth and character that's very appealing at low to moderate volume levels. If I was playing in a full band I'd want to be able to choose between the 50 and the 100 2-12 based on the gig.

The only way I think it could be improved is have a drive section with gain and level and mod section with speed and depth. Those two extra knobs would make all the difference for tweaking it on the fly.

Digital Larry likes this.

11. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I’ve got the 1x12 100 watt and GAFC foot control. Haven’t gigged with it yet but it’s great for weekly practice and home use. The portability and ease of use more than make up for the slight trade off in tone when compared to my AC15 and pedalboard. Money well spent.

12. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    I needed another amp like a hole in the head, but I wanted something as light as my Super Champ XD that would stay clean a bit longer, as I play in a classic soul band with horns. I was using a Cube 80 for larger gigs. Well, I tried the 50 in a music store and took it away right then and there. I mainly use it as a clean platform, as I've put a lot of thought into my compact pedal board and it really covers the bases for me. However the built in default effects are very nice. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the higher gain voices. I'm too lazy to get into the Tone Studio, so I just use the clean channel with a Tube Screamer when I want that - and very occasionally a light crunch setting. I love my Shure pedal wireless receiver, which has the best stage tuner ever, so that's not an issue. Finally, that wonderful little box on the right is a Big Joe Lithium Power Box, which has me freed up except for one guitar cable from the pedalboard out to the amp.

Attached Files:

13. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    And I forgot to mention, our sound guy liked the Super Champ, but he loves the Katana!

14. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    I ordered the 100 head last week. It's coming Wed. I've got a Celestion 65 Creamback 1x12 cab to play it through. I know it's a 65watt speaker but I will not turn it up very high.The amp will probably be on the 50 watt setting most of the time, so I think I'll be good. The really cool thing about the head is that is comes with a 5" internal speaker so you don't need a cab. Great for practice.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I also went with the Katana 50. I played 30 years as an amateur, 15 years professionally. I've now retired and down sized. It doesn't replace my big tube amp, but in the past year, it is getting more use. I've got better speakers, sitting in boxes, but they would also add several pounds in weight. I'm not trying to replace my tube amps, but rather add a new tool, to my toolbox. Bigger is not always better. I wanted a small, light Grab & Go amp, with good effects.

beagle likes this.

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You'll find the .5 watt setting turned all the way up is shockingly loud (and sounds good) - enough for a reasonable volume band rehearsal. The 50 watt setting is more than loud enough for all my uses so far, that's with the 212 open back cabinet, I don't know how efficient the speakers are rated, but man it is dang loud

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Why would we even need more than a 50 watter if indeed it was a true 50 watts ?

What ever happened to the threads of a few years ago, "nobody needs more than 15 watts" ?

hemingway and beagle like this.

18. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Thanks

19. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    They don't sell a 15 watt amp so what is the point of your post?

20. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Because, over the years on TDPRI, it has been the topic of many a thread , and much banter; small amp over big etc etc.

So it was humorous.

Hope that helps.

Not sure that any post requires a point, anyway. Unless, that's a new requirement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.