Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To those who were there; tell us about...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Mar 13, 2018.

1. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    On average, there was a lot of beat stuff around, but if you knew people, you could get the good stuff for a tenth of what it costs today, which is about in line with inflation generally.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks! Interesting definition of average ;)

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Felony murders, rapes, robberies, and burglaries have been going on since the dawn of humanity. It's only in the past 100 years or so that we've become aware of the relationship between mental illness and drug abuse and their effects on apparently random acts of violence. Also, the reporting of these crimes is much better today than in the past. If there's a significantly higher number of violent crimes today, it's because there's a significantly higher number of people. The world population was around 3 billion in 1960, it's more than double that now. That ought to scare you.

Modman68, Obsessed and rad1 like this.

4. BigDaddyLH

In general, I thought all sorts of violent crimes have been decreasing for decades, for a variety of reasons.

gitold likes this.

5. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    A lot of good stuff here. The 50s were a Mark Twain childhood as I was in kindergarten in the midwest. The 60s were, just scary. nuclear fears as a child, thinking you could die at any moment i.e. the Cuban Missile crisis. Everybody building bomb shelters. Then came the Beatles as a ray of light which gave you a sense of a larger world out there. Then all the Vietnam, JFK, MLK, stuff followed by Jim Hendrix (he was completely left field for the times). I remember there being a lot more theater and arts interest in the world, not the celebrities like today where you are famous for nothing except the ability to stay visible. Back then the celebrities were uniquely talented. Most today are not. The 70s were the West Coast music scene i.e. CSN&Y, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles. Also Led Zeppelin loomed large over the land and radio. FM radio emerged as the place to find new music. Then Disco spread like a cancer on the land. Killed live music in clubs and coffee shops. All the pretty girls wanted to dance, dance dance. It really killed the music scene but many artists who were already famous struggled on. It was a great time for studio musicians who generated disco hits I might add. The entrance for new groups completely collapsed. It emerged sometime in the late 80s but it was a different music scene i.e. Cars, Blondie, Sheena Easton. The heart and soul of the 60s and 70s music was gone by the mid 80s.

Obsessed and william tele like this.

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    You wouldn't be thinking that if you lived in Chicago.

Humble Pie likes this.

7. BigDaddyLH

We really need to sit down and talk about averages.

Slow Reflexes likes this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    In the states, we're experiencing unbelievable drug addiction and related crime even in Midwestern and rust belt towns, places normally considered "good" and "safe."

It's a weird phenomena, because although the entire U.S. average of violent crime is down, it's creeping up in unexpected places. Like, it dramatically went down in NYC under Mayor Giuliani, and then Bloomberg. But started to skyrocket in places like St. Louis.

I'm just using St. Louis as an example though, because I don't know about that city for sure.

9. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    You don't know if I buy into their BS or not. And what does that mean?

Have you lumped an entire chunk of people together from a period and think they all believe the same things?

Is there a list of things that you think I believe based on starting this thread and what I've said?

And I don't mean this sarcasticly, I would actually like to know :)

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

I was born in '57 and was one of those people whose lives were dramatically changed by the Fab Four on Ed Sullivan. ;) I lived through the period and watched the cultural changes then actually studied it. A great quote from a popular musician in the period comes to mind:

"We were wrong about drugs, we were wrong about free love, but we were right about the war." *

There period seemed more to me like 1963-76, that swath has more linkage, if you will. From my perspective as a kid, I wondered whether the nation would survive, while at the same time, some great things were happening. Looking back with an analytical mind, I see the entire period in popular American culture as a slow-motion crash. The country started with a near-universal, inherited philosophy and with it, a set of dreams. By the sixties, many of the deep underpinnings of the philosophy were hollowing out in society. The accepted norms still existed, but the "whys" were often lost. The youth were the first to notice the fracture between belief and adherence and saw it as hypocrisy. Their response was to throw out the "system" and start again. Revolution! The music was full of meaning in that period. Unfortunately, the revolution was also based upon an optimistic anthropology that wasn't very realistic. The dreams of the previous philosophy were still there but people began to feel that they were easing even further away from them under the new philosophy.

The movements of the period started with relatively pure motives but collapsed into the complex thing that human life is. Somewhere along the line most of those movements generated in the '60s went from movements based on positive ideals to corporations based on power, revenge, and BMWs.

Meanwhile, the youth. They were sold the idea that love could be and should be acquired without commitment... that love was this uncomplicated concept and should be free, breezy, and easy. They weren't just sold the idea, it was demonstrated continually in movies, TV, and in music. Now, let me ask you: who are the people who are least adept at long-term relationships? Actors and musicians and those around them, right? And free love was what they were peddling? Talk about a terrible hypocrisy! So many lives have been burned by the false idea of easy love.

The interesting thing is that while portions of the culture and even the music business were crashing and burning in slow motion, others portions were flourishing and both idealism and optimism were thoroughly alive. 1972 was a second peak of musical idealism. Remember the Doobies', "Listen to the Music"? Music displaying cultural optimism was still alive in '72. YES brought us Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha via Close to the Edge. Progressive Rock was at its zenith and at its core were many optimistic ideals. Tommy James discovered that he was owned by a label that was owned by the mob but felt the first stirrings of a spiritual awakening inside himself. He decided to move his music towards that awakening and the mob didn't care what he sang as long as he made money for them.

it just seemed like a case of "The hurrier I go the behinder I get." No matter how hard we attempted to make things better, the goal seemed to be moving further away, the culture spiraling down. Over that thirteen-year period popular culture dissolved into the mess it had become and had to become and meanwhile the youth struggled with idealism. Eventually we woke up and asked, "Where the heck did the meaning in music go?" Finally the Bee-Gees announced that all we are trying to accomplish in life was "Staying Alive." Though many of us hated disco, we became aware that the Bee-Gees' premise was the ultimate outcome of the revolution started in the '60s. And then New Wave gave way to punk and the new "meaning" became ugly.

So, what happened to optimism and idealism? Oh, they are still out there, but they are based upon a different paradigm and upon a more realistic anthropology. But, of course, our culture has now "progressed" to a point that it is so jaded that we can't discuss such possibilities civilly. ;)

Bob

* Quote is from David Crosby. I'm not sure he was right about anything. Here is has landed towards the end of his life and his bandmates can't stand to be around him.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

What was her name?

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I'll put it this way - the best stuff that was available in the late 70's/early 80's (which was far stronger than the best stuff available in the 60's) pales in comparison to the demon stuff available now. Smoking a whole joint of it by yourself or even among two people ? Good luck.

I know what that's code for. BTW, meth and now opioids ? It's a cracker/white trash/T-voter thing

Long story short ? Don't believe the hype (and I hope you don't).

If YOU make these the good old days, they will be.

Remember - for every Jimi Hendrix there was a Scott McKenzie. For every "Revolution" there was a "Revolution No 9"...

Far out !

Chick-N-Picker likes this.

13. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, about 72-73 the big recession had sunk into the economy. In '71 the billboard saying "Will the last person out of Seattle please turn out the lights?" was up. After a few years of playing the "West coast circuit" 6 nights a week, (Seattle, Yakima, Spokane, Idaho, Montana, Reno, San Fran, Portland etc) Gigs dried up, clubs closed up, or stopped music. Bands broke up, we had to get real jobs. Rock had become so much noise, feedback and volume for so long people were tiring of it although it continued through the decade. Enter the singer songwriter and other types of music.
    Still, it was a ton of fun. We'd leave Reno sunday am after a late saturday night show. Hit the hiway in the dead of winter, drive clear to Yakima in eastern Washington thru ice and snow and have to play at 8 pm monday night.
    We had some good rock festivals in the PNW. Woodinville east of Seattle was great. Zeppelin was there, Hendrix, Ike and Tina Turner etc etc. The one in Sultan was similar. We had no idea how lucky we were. They were disorganized and you could sneak in readily.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    So interesting to hear the different perceptions are expressing. We moved to Boston in '69, I was in jr high. I loved just about everything about it. Seems like every week or so, something new and fabulous was revealed. Great movies, cars, new kinds of food, yeah,some drugs, books, etc., but especially music.

Look through the top 40 songs from '63 to '83, practically every month a new great song or album, now considered classics. I feel bad for you youngsters who have never heard a new release that is fresh and awesome. They say every fourth generation is when novelty and creativity happens, so I can't wait until 2045 or so.

Obsessed likes this.

15. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Pedantry alert: Hendrix didn't die of an overdose, it was suffocation due to inhalation of vomit.

Now, as to what CAUSED the vomit in the first place? Not getting into that... (Because as we all know, you can't exactly dust for vomit.)

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^ Uh, that would be the overuse of drugs...

17. BigDaddyLH

The state with the highest overdose death rate, by far, is West Virginia. It's a combination of weak economy, poor state, little help from programs. People there need help.

18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Did they ever confirm whose vomit it was?

19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

I just finished viewing the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam. For me it encapsulated the time and culture of my youth, and described the paths of the several social glaciers that moved through and reshaped society and culture around the world.

I remember being too young to be a hippy, but being fascinated by them. I remember the body counts every day on the news, and the feeling that if you got drafted you would be killed in Vietnam; they never mentioned the fact that at the peak of the "conflict" there were half a million soldiers there. I remember the demonstrations, the spokespeople and their speeches, the conventions, and the assassinations. I remember the music, but I mostly stayed stuck on the Tijuana Brass, and didn't pay much attention. I'm still discovering great musicians from that time, sometimes after they're dead and gone.

In 1971, when a number lower than 100 meant you'd surely be drafted, my lottery number came up 253. I never gave the Army another thought. Went to college, grew my hair, bared my feet. . . .

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Obsessed and jackinjax like this.

20. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    I was born in the 60s, but I always wonder what it was like for people who were teenagers at the time with the music changing so fast. Just the top 40 AM radio hits alone went through such a radical evolution from ‘63 to ‘67 and then by ‘68 you get into a whole other thing altogether. It must have been so exciting just trying to keep up. It’s no coincidence that some of the very best musicians played covers in those years and had to be adept at such a wide range of sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.