Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are you using for Chorus and/or Flanger?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gmountain, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    I'm thinking of getting a chorus pedal. What are you guys using? What's recommended?

2. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Chorus pedals seem to come in many flavors and its a matter of taste and what particular sound you are looking for. Right now I own a Wampler Nirvana (discontinued) and it is a good sounding true bypass pedal with a lot of adjustability. I can get a nice jazzy lead sound with it (kinda like Scofield), thin 80s warble, and yes, Cobain-like wobbling dizziness. It will do vibrato too (affected signal only, no doubling) which I find useful for warbly leads sometimes. According to Wampler's old demos the Nirvana chorus is all analog.

Twice I have owned an MXR Analog Chorus and I loved the effect -- completely awesome for subtle "always on" thickening all the way to chewy, psychedelic swirl. It has adjustable high cut and low cut which allows for precision tailoring of the effect. But both times I gave it up because the pedal isn't true bypass and I felt it pulled a little brilliance from the unaffected tone. Depending on your rig and preferences this may or may not bother you. For a buffered bypass pedal it was really very good but my rig is a little dark and I need all the brilliance I can get.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I use the Modulated mode on my Boss RV-6 when I need chorus. As a bonus, the Boss also has several great reverb sounds besides that one. The Shimmer mode is very cool, plus you get plate, spring, hall and room modes. On top of that you also have a Delay+ reverb mode. The RV-6 rocks. As far as Flangers go, the MXR Micro Flanger is a sweet little unit.

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I bought a chorus for a possible project as a sideman for a friend that is an electric folkie. It is an Electro Harmonix Nano Corus, works well for the limited applications that I anticipated.

The project never took off, so it sits in a bag, as my regular rock and blues is straight in, or a single booster, type tunage. Still, I'm glad it's there if I need it, and it was inexpensive.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I currently have a few patches with modulation on my echo. Most of them are tied to my expression pedal so I can add modulation and a little more delay level. The mod I like on the trails has recently changed to a thick chorus. This has me entertaining the thought of throwing a chorus patch on my Wet2 to see if I can use a dedicated chorus again... (its been since the 80’s when I was a full fledged chorus abuser)..

6. RajDonYasser

RajDonYasser TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Right here
    I tried the Boss CE-2W at a local shop yesterday and it sound really nice.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The chorus on my amp.

Zepfan, tery and MilwMark like this.

8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    Chorus is a ce-2 clone, flanger is an electric mistress clone.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Right now I use Modulation pedals. One board has a TC NOVA Modulator which can do two effects at once. The other is a NuX Mod Core that does chorus, flanger, tremolo, U-Vibe and a couple of others. It doesn't sound as good as my Boss CE-2, but having a small footprint and doing multiple effects makes up for it. I found out after I bought mine that there are two versions, one has a USB jack so you can download upgrades and make changes. I got the one without the jack not knowing there were two versions. Oops.

10. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    Analogman Bi Chorus / MXR EVH Flanger.

11. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Using an old Boss BF-2 flanger as both chorus and flanging.

songtalk and King Creole like this.

12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    I would seriously suggest that you look into the Neunaber Chroma Chorus. At first glance, it looks expensive, but if you consider that it works as a regular chorus, a multi-voice chorus, a "Dimension D" chorus, AND a bunch of excellent reverbs, delays, flangers, and other things, the $270 that you pay for it seems (to me) like a good deal. If you add the $100 Exp Controller you can switch between four effects on the fly.

FenderLover and 4pickupguy like this.

13. R_Somerset

R_Somerset TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Portlandia
    TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger. It seems like there almost no unusable sounds. A/DA Flanger for a colder sound works awesome. Analogman Bi-Chorus for an extra warm and gooey tone.

14. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have an old Ibanez CS-505 that sounds really good.It runs on 18v, goes from subtle to very deep chorus. It's a cool pedal you can still get a hold of for reasonable price.

15. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I have a Boss MD 500 and it is awesome. It's a little spendy if you can't find used, but I traded in a couple of pedals that sat in the closet. It will do any kind of modulation you could ever want, and some you didn't know you did.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    MXR analog chorus is nice and on my new board now. Can do subtle very well and the mix and tone controls are neat features.

The best I’ve owned was on old lilac Ibanez CS9 Chorus. I gave it to a relative who lives abroad as I’d started to use rack fx but it was nice and rich.

17. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I have been using Visual Sound H2O, (v.2), which is a 2 in 1 pedal for chorus and echo. The newer v.3 I think is a bit better and Visual Sound has been bought out by "Truetone". Very thick chorus and echo which gets you into Leslie territory.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

18. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Depends on how you want to use them. I am not a flanger fan and only use Chorus lightly so my old Boss CH-1 is still working for me. Cheap pedal, but accomplishes what I want out of it.

Ekko likes this.

19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I seldom use one anymore. But if I do it's the Boss CE-2 I bought around 1979 or so.

20. jclute

jclute TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Atlanta, Georgia
    For flanger the Mooer Eleclady. It’s a solid electric mistress clone. For chorus, EHX Small Clone re-issue. Great classic analog chorus. I also have a TC Corona chorus. Lots of varying sounds with knobs and switches and of course way more with editor and TonePrint app.

knockeduptele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.