Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are you using for Chorus and/or Flanger?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gmountain, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    I had quite a job finding a flanger I liked tried all manner of things, ended up with the strymon orbit never spent that much on a pedal before but apart from being a really great flanger it does a pretty decent choruslike sound too.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I generally dislike chorus (probably due to the proliferation of the effect in the era when I started playing), but when forced to use the effect, I use the slow setting on my Boss RT20.

I'll be watching this thread, though, because I want suggestions for a flanger, too...

3. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    Well, I ordered an MXR Analog Chorus on Reverb from Crazy Dave's. I've used Crazy Dave in the past and found the best price.

Guitarteach likes this.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Me too. Also vibrato. See my avatar.

brookdalebill likes this.

5. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2011
    An ancient Boss BF-2 Flanger. Manual and Regen set fully counter clockwise, Depth and Rate straight up at noon. Very chorus-y without being too chorus-y.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    No use for a flanger, personally,

Gave up my 4-knob chorus pedal for this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

7. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    My first pedal was a Boss DS-1. Good enough for Cobain’s distortion, good enough for me. When I went to buy my second pedal, a chorus, that previous philosophy/mantra and my happiness with the DS-1 lead me into the store convinced I’d but the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone. I played on the pedal in the store and the owner came and talked to me and asked if I liked Nirvana (as if me starting my 17th run at Come As You Are wasn’t a hint).

We talked about how Cobain used the Small Clone, Chrous, and eventually he asked what other bands I liked where I had heard watery guitar parts. I could only think of The Cure. He grabbed a Boss CH-1 and we ABed them. The guy was super sweet and never tried to outright sell to me, he just wanted me to get the most out of my purchase.

Point: Still have AND use that CH-1 (my DS-1 for that matter too). He even gave me a discount as the CH-1 was a tad more expensive.

The CH-1 can go full listen to music under water sounds from 80’s goth and Nirvana, to some of the most subtle sweet tones that barely differ from a kiss of reverb. I’ve never looked back or been unhappy.

thefruitfarmer likes this.

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    I'm still on honeymoon with the Donner Ultimate Delay, but (among many other things) it does a nice modulated delay that is pretty much everything I'd want from a chorus pedal but with more control over the dry signal mix. I have a CH-1 that frankly I haven't used in years, but the Donner got me intrigued with chorus again :)

9. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    Boss CE-2w and a mini Phase 95 are the only two modulation pedals for me!

10. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Jan 31, 2005
    Wagenberg, Holland

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

My old DOD FX-60 Stereo Chorus. The poormans CE-2.

Not used a lot, but still there. Run it stereo at home sometimes. Too much hassle live anymore.

Only at a venue a couple hours, maybe a little more now days. Doesn't make sense. The days of a sitdown gig are long gone. At least in my world.

Probably use the Small Stone more often, especially for the Waylon stuff.

12. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I've had a Boss CE-5 for a long time. It's really nice if you don't want really deep modulation. There are lot of subtle tweaks at hand.

13. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    CH-1

It is easy to find a frequency for the chorus sound that fits in with guitar sound and then easy to tweak when your ear wants a different chorus sound.

FenderLover and michiganguitar like this.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Right now a Walrus Julia for the vibrato and a 80s Boss BF-2 flanger for a flangey chorus. Don’t really use flange and chorus though, so this might be short lived.

15. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I play around with my old Digitech/DOD PDS-1700 Chorus/Flanger. Not great, but a cool toy to play with.

[​IMG]

16. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    BOSS Super Chorus. I don't use much of it.

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS

I still use my 20/20 from 87', comb filter, flange, chorus, doubling, slapback, 2 sec mod delay and looping. It was a shining star of that era.

[​IMG]

MadJack likes this.

18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I use a Boss CE-2 chorus, very light mix, just enough to fatten things up a small amount.

19. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    I would say Zoom ms 70 cdr, there are many inside to choose from , you spend as much as a single pedal , same space on your pedalboard but you can use it for many other things if you want.

20. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I use an old Boss BF-2 for vibrato- and chorus-like sounds. Flangers do chorus that I like better than chorus pedals. My BF-2 is noisy, but I distract the crowd from the noise by playing badly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.