Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What car has the quietest cabin/least road noise?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Mar 12, 2018.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    As available in... Yeah a used Town Car might be it.

2. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Ever have a timing chain go bad on a VW? Supposed to last 90,000, but the warranty is something like 65,000. They fail a lot, but you can always replace the engine for $6,000. Not me, but it happens.

3. duzie

duzie TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    89 Yj ! Mine seems quieter with the top down !
    With this soft top up all the snaps rattle and the tires hum like crazy I can barely hear my stereo

Sollipsist likes this.

4. T-bone Ted

T-bone Ted TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Louisville, Ky
    My Saab parked in the garage.

5. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Except perhaps the MB 1983 Turbo Diesel I had. Any car at 500,000 miles or more is bound to make some noise. I will say it was louder outside the car than inside. $850.

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Starter?

Don't most German models use something from Bosch?

I just picked up a remanned Bosch starter for under $ 100 and replaced it plus the oil pressure sending unit and the water pump and all that didn't take 6 hours of mostly loafing. Yes, it was Swedish not German (parent's car) - your example is probably valid for one model or another but not for most of them.

Jakedog and thegeezer like this.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What's broken? I'm assuming you mean it is quiet because it isn't running.

In my experience, there are no really quiet Saabs. Part of the fun of them is the kinda cute sounds some of them make. Whooshes and so forth.

I don't really care for a real quiet car for myself. I like the chorus of sounds to warn the chipmunks, possums and squirrels so they can get out of the road before I get there. Guess that's why I've got 5 Saabs now and have had quite a few in the past.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    T-bone Ted likes this.

8. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I think maybe a Rolls Royce. Keith Moon used to have a lilac one for sale.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    If road noise is getting to you, turn up the stereo! :twisted:

scrapyardblue likes this.

10. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i used to work for national tire wholesale (now NTB i think) in my early 20's back in atlanta, ga. i became a master tire tech and had to fix vibration problems on all kinds of cars, and had to test drive them to make sure they were ok. i guess the most quiet cars from what i remember were the mercedes'. i imagine you can get a used one for under 10 grand.
    dang...i forgot it had to be USA.

11. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Lincoln Town Car riding on Michelin tires, there is a reason they get used a lot for limo duty. For a little less, the Mercury Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria also get pretty close in the insulation department. I have been using that platform of cars for 30 years including 10 years worth of Crown Victoria Police Package and even that was well insulated from noise although pursuit tires added a little. Best part is that these cars are also inexpensive, they built a ton of them so parts are cheap, and they are also very reliable...especially the less featured Crown Victoria.

Mike Eskimo likes this.

12. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I can tell you what not to get. An Abarth 500. They come stock without mufflers. Luckily my neighbors are car people and they don't mind.

13. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i always thought michelin tires were the best. they were always consistently closer to a perfect circle than any other tire.

Milspec and bparnell57 like this.

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Bentley. I've ridden in one. Nice automobile.

15. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I put 83000 miles on my 2006 Cadillac STS. Wonderfully quiet and comfy. Almost 300 HP also in a V6. Smooth Cadillac ride and nice amenities inside. Still looks nice riding down the street. I would imagine most were not beaters. Sold it in one day. 001.JPG

16. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Mercury Grand Marquis plus $500-1000 spent at a local car audio installation place for additional sound deadening. Then throw some luxury spec tires on, and you're good to go.

If I may ask, is road noise your number one concern? What brings about such a specific need?

Milspec likes this.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    When I was still working, the bookkeeper at an old family farm out on highway 166 between I-5 and Maricopa bought a new town car back in about 2005, or 2006. She could get some kind of goodies from Lincoln, or maybe the dealer if she could get you to drive her car, and let them pester you with email. I really liked the lady, and so I took the Town Car for a spin. I was pretty impressed with how it drove and how it rode at about 80 mph. It was quiet, quiet, quiet. I was never interested in the car to purchase but it was fun driving it. I did however consider a used one from the model previous to the one I drove. If I could buy one like that and park it out at my brother-in-law's shop, I would just for long trips. It had a cavernous back seat which the one I drove that was nearly new did not. The one with the huge back seat was very quiet also. I think it might have been a 99. We just couldn't wrap our heads (my wife and I ) around something we couldn't park in our garage. It might have fit but you would have been using all of it, probably have to walk out the garage door, use the remote and go in the front door of the house, it was BIG!

boris bubbanov likes this.

18. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yep. Town car comes with air ride and there are two different available wheelbase options.

Toto'sDad likes this.

19. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Maybe either Toyota Camry or Corolla would be the most quiet car model available, I quess.

20. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Not a current Toyota and it's not even close. I can't speak for a 6cylinder, but the 4's are loud, needing 3,000 RPMs just to pull away from a stop sign.

CharlieO and Jakedog like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.