Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

What car has the quietest cabin/least road noise?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Mar 12, 2018.

1. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Elon musk Tesla with spaceman...
    Guitarteach likes this.

2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Right on for the Avalon.
    Lexus 300 without the price tag--solid, comfortable, quiet, good performance. My wife is on her second, and she likes it.
    Good car--no problems.

3. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

For under $10K, I'd look at 90's Mercedes Benz. Back when they were built for long lasting quality (examples racking up 6 figure miles), unlike today when they're not made quite as well.

Rolls Royce used to advertise the loudest thing you could hear on the highway was the ticking of the dash clock.

4. EasyEd

EasyEd TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hey All,

You guys and your square headlights!! :)

I drive a 10 jk and top off loud but hardtop on not too bad!!

duzie and Sollipsist like this.

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    For road trips with mom. My hearing, or, lack of. My mothers voice gets lost in the mix and any type of hearing aid would just raise the level.
    Toto'sDad likes this.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    I have a buddy who stopped off today on his jaunt to the mailbox. I was out front doing my lawn, trying my best to look like a gardener so I wouldn't embarrass the neighbors cutting my own grass. Anyway Don was talking to my wife, and one thing and another led me to ask if his car had two steering wheels like ours does to allow both my wife and myself to drive at the same time.

He has a hearing problem (as do I) and he related the story to me of a recent trip he took with his wife. She wanted to sit in the back, and be a REAL backseat driver, she kept on giving him orders until when they stopped off to get gas, and a snack, when she got in the back, he climbed in right beside her. She said what ARE you doing. He said, well it's like this, either you drive or we just sit here until someone comes along and has us towed I CAN'T TAKE IT NO MORE! They sat there for a while, finally she saw he was serious, and climbed out of the car, and got in the front seat and drove the rest of the way. I'm not sure they are speaking yet.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, and the advantage of the Mercury or Ford is, they have a conventional suspension and not the air suspension that's been problematic on many Lincolns. A significant number of the Town Cars have been retrofitted with Ford/Mercury suspension pieces and the Lincoln owner can then rest easy.
    bparnell57 likes this.

8. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    My Michelin tires on my Chrysler suck eggs, 46K, 1/2 tread life, whisper quiet, but no traction! None, I can push the front end or step out the rear end whenever I feel like it. These same tires sucked at 10K.

Quietest vehicle so far has been my '96 K3500 Chevrolet truck with a 454, but I wouldn't advise looking for one of these!!! ;)
    telemnemonics likes this.

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”What car has the quietest cabin/least road noise?”

The one on blocks
    boris bubbanov likes this.

10. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Well you want something that doesn't transfer the road noise and the sound of air rushing past the A-pillar. My Father was always a fanatic about wind noise and if there was any leakage along the doors or windows, he would refuse to ride in the car. The only model of car that he ever owned was the Lincoln TownCar from 1986 until he was no longer able to drive in 2010. Seriously, they are supremely much so that he used to "re-start" the car because he couldn't hear if the car was running. You will like the quiet, the ride, and value.

11. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Love my wife's 2015 Accord Sport with 6 speed manual but the road noise is noticeable over my 2007 Acura TSX.

12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    My BMW 520d is pretty quiet but, as mentioned a few times, having good / correctly-inflated tyres can make a big difference to any car.

Also, the road surface is an influence. We have some concrete main roads that are really noisy. Smooth tarmac is best - but, in the UK, the pot-holes and surfaces are getting worse by the year.

14. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    Can’t give any advice on domestic vehicles never had much luck with them, resell, reliability etc I’ve always been a Toyota guy

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    The local Swedish motors shop would only install a $480 rebuilt alternator in my old XC70, so I bought a rebuilt online for under $100 and had it put in by another shop.
    When I had a '71 Capri I bought some brushes for the dead Bosch alternator and got it working again that way.

At this point I suspect that many American cars are heavily influenced by foreign and fuel economy design, so the old front engine rear wheel drive no emissions easy to work on thing is not as true a truism.
    You need 80 tooth ratchets to work on 21st Century cars!

I bought my '06 XC70 with 200k on it at the end of it's inspection a year ago.
    At that age and in a two year period it has needed two tires, a battery and a front wheel bearing. OK a headlight too, still have hand cramps from that install.

As mentioned, lux cars get cheap when too old for their target wealthy owner, and while this one booked at around $5k, the original owner took $1850.
    And hey, it's a Ford!
    Or was when it was built.
    Actually Ford didn't put any Ford parts in Volvo but put Volvo parts in Fords.

If not for the tach I couldn't tell if the engine was running, no sound at all.
    Very quiet driving too, for a cheap old car.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    When I bought my 2000 Sierra in '05 I test drove some comparable Ford and Dodge trucks.
    The GMC was drastically quieter, which was a big selling point because I did a lot of phone conversations on my commutes and could not find a bluetooth or wired headset I could hear at speed, due to my bad hearing.
    And the 4wd was quiet with noisy BFG all terrain TA tires, could have been much quieter with different rubber.

Yeah your 454 3500 would be expensive now if you could find one.
    I gotta bored out 454 in the garage!
    rz350 likes this.

17. T-bone Ted

T-bone Ted TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Louisville, Ky
    Yeah, you're right, Saabs are not normally quiet cars! My post was about when mine is off and parked in the garage. LOL

I'm selling mine because I'm done with the quirks, breakdowns, parts availability, & reliability. It was fun while it lasted, but she gonna be gone.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    Pick up a Rolls Royce or Bentley, in fact get two, old ones are so cheap you can use one just for harvesting spares.

Sell everything else to fuel them. :)

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I respect anyone's decision not to become their own mechanic, if just for the same reason an attorney might still hire a lawyer if the need arose. I do sometimes really have to put my money where my mouth is, driving a couple thousand miles out to California and back in a 9-5 that's already got 200,000 miles on it, or more and I'm the wrench. If something failed and I broke down, it could be something like a shot in the dark, but if it did happen I'd be after myself "why didn't you inspect that part more thoroughly?" Have I been competent so far, or mostly lucky? I did have to replace an alternator in front of my brother's house in Pasadena a few years back - a job that's hard enough, that if I ever have to drop the front subframe on one of these (to replace bushes, etc.) I would replace any alternator that was in there with more than 50,000 miles of use on it.

I've got four 9-5s, plus a new generation 900, and I've got to care for two other Saabs belonging to my parents (in their 90s). I have to stay adept a maintaining my folks' Saabs because my parents ain't buying any more cars (they say) so I guess I may as well go all in. I've been super lucky I guess - no problems with reliability. But you know, sometimes I get a feeling so I drive one of them one weekend and not the other. I'm never under pressure to replace a tire now on Car 1 when I can simply borrow a wheel and tire off Car 3. Suppose the brake pads are on their way out in Car 2; I can wait to replace them when pads go on sale and the weather is just perfect. Then resume heavy use of Car 2.

I'm an iron block, 4 cylinder guy. Honestly I have no affinity for the sixes at all, and I don't think I would be much excited to own even the aluminum block 4s. I'm watching the folks with the later 9-3s slipping away - they might've stayed with Saab if they'd tried the iron block, but that's probably not who they are anyway.

I don't know which model you have - some of the models were pretty badly watered down, not much Saab DNA in them. But the ones I have, parts prices and availability is really a dream come true. For example a Direct Ignition Cassette used to cost me about $ 500, but once the dealer network (and their way of driving a huge markup to control more of the service market) went away, the price of the very same item collapsed. Talking Identical part, source, imaging, serial numbers in sequence and so on. I bought seven of them, $ 150 apiece and I'm pretty much set until maybe 2030. If you did a study of what's available at Eeuroparts or Rockauto, I think you might find Saab parts a fraction of the cost of Toyota, Ford or Mazda parts, much less Mercedes or Volvo.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

20. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    It's not a Ford Escape!
    scrapyardblue likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.