Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Mexican is this?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Torvald, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    20180210_072553.jpg Hello all,
    Just registered so I could find out about the Mexican telecaster I bought yesterday.
    It's clearly Mexican, clearly a 2006 with a little 60th anniversary thing on the back of the headstock, but it has the 3 brass barrel type bridge and when I peeked inside it appears that the pickups are alnicos with the traditional cloth covered wire and the pots are clearly CTS with a nice Orange drop cap in between.
    I was expecting to see ceramic magnets stuck to the bottom of the pups and cheaper pots, caps, etc.. So I wonder. Did someone upgrade this guitar or was there a Mexican model that came this way?

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Yep it appears that MIM has been modified.

From all the solder marks on the pots, I'd suggest they are original, but have been rewired, maybe more than once.

Hiker and viccortes285 like this.

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    All I see is a control plate.Pics of the guitar please.

4. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    Not sure if they call this Seafoam or Surf Green. I think they discontinued Seafoam but I'm not sure when.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    Bridge pickup. Wiring is snug so I couldn't quite turn it over.

Attached Files:

6. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    I don't know what it is, but I sure like that color.

cactusrob and Nubs like this.

7. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    If there's not a white sticker with black numbers starting with "M" inside the control cavity, it's not MIM, if there's not 3 "crop circles" under the pickguard below the neck pickup route, it's not MIM. I'm not saying it isn't MIM, but it could very well be an MIM neck bolted on a mystery body.

8. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    20180210_132001.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    Maybe its a mystery body then. Soldering not so neat and I see a couple wires spliced and taped so I'm sure at least that it has been modded.
    I was pretty much sold when I saw the color.

10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I also like the color. It may be a partscaster, though. I don't ever recall seeing a MIM Standard in that color. I could be wrong, though. Perhaps an FSR. Quite possibly a pickup upgrade and the addition of the three saddle bridge. Call ((800) 856-9801) or email Fender with the serial number, which will give you a better description of the body that came with the neck.

How does it sound and play?

And welcome to the TDPRI party. We need some more youngsters here.

boris bubbanov likes this.

11. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    After taking about a half turn on the truss rod, adjusting the string heights at the saddle, tapping down a few high frets and putting new strings on it. All pretty standard stuff for pawn shop/second hand guitars, it plays and sounds pretty darn good! Sounds a little different than any of my assortment of mostly HH type guitars, but in a good way. Neck is a little bigger up by the headstock than some. Not a bad thing though. Might even grow to like that feature.
    Well I guess its a partscaster. I thought it was all Fender. Even did a little google search on the serial number before I bought it. I think I'm O.K. with that. I saw where Prince played a Hohner knock off of a Tele, and Bill Kirchen played a pine body/pine necked Tele that didn't have a truss rod in it. Sum of the parts and what you can do with them, I guess.

Jakedog likes this.

12. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    And thanks Slim! I did email them as you suggested. I'll let you know when they respond.
    T

13. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    Fender hasn't gotten back to me yet but I took the neck off and that shed some light on the origin of my Mexican. I'm pretty happy now! Especially since I paid less than what the Warmoth body would cost alone! 20180211_081815.jpg

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    A looker anyway. If it does not weigh a ton (unless you like that) should be a good hammer.

15. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    There may not be a Fender part anywhere on that guitar, but it looks like really nice player. And if the price was right, there is nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy!

16. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    The neck is genuine MIM, nothing wrong with a Warmoth body, you got yourself a nice guitar.

Jakedog likes this.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Nice guitar.

I'm fairly certain since I've owned 3 of them, that the MIM Muddy Tele came with cloth wire, CTS pots, and the famous US-made Muddy pickups made from unobtainium...

So there's one MIM w/ the goods.

18. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    The only things I know for sure are the Fender neck and Warmoth body.
    7.6 lbs.

Jakedog likes this.

19. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Put back together and play it, it's the only thing left to do. The controls look like maybe 920D Shop, I have a few from them, but the switch wiring looks a little sloppy for them.

20. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    That wiring was too clean for MIM. Kind of kidding, kind of not. My MIM (2016 serial #) was wired way more sloppy than that with way more soldering mess on the pots.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.