Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wild tax accountant encounter last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    We needed a new tax accountant, and my wife got a recommendation from someone pretty high up in the Tennessee state government. So she called and got us an appointment to meet with her, last night at 6pm.

We pulled up at 5:55p and could see some people standing in the lobby as we walked up. They were a bit shady looking. Hmm.

We walked in to hear two apparent gang members in the lobby arguing with one other, hyper foul language. I say this, not to disparage anyone... but that's just my take on it. They looked at us with a very mean look, but their argument was rapidly escalating, and they were about to go nose-to-nose.

My wife told the receptionist, "We have an appointment with Mrs. Smith." The receptionist tells us, "You got people aheada you. You gone hafta wait."

I'm trying to sort all of this out, standing between the fighting men and my wife, when another lady walked out, apparently the accountant. She looked at the two guys arguing and sternly told them to sit down (they did), then took one by the arm and said, "You next."

She looked over at me and my wife and said, "Y'all being helped?"

I said, "We have a 6 o'clock appointment with Mrs. Smith."

She said, "That's me. But you got two people in front of you."

The receptionist said, "That's what I told'em." Then the receptionist looked at me and said, "You can either wait, or you can leave. But that's gone be a decision that you hafta make. That's on you."

All of this happened within the first 30 seconds of us walking in the front door of the office, and I'm wildly confused.

I said, "Ok. Thank you," and took my wife by the shoulder and turned to walk out.

Mrs. Smith saw us turn around and said, "Imma be about 35 - 45 minutes then I call y'all. We got y'all phone number?"

I said politely, "It's ok. Don't worry about it."

She said, "Y'all gone come back?"

I said, "We're kind of under a time crunch. Thank you."

And we walked out.

I kept thinking that someone was going to walk out and tell us that we were on a hidden camera TV show. Other than that, it was like being in the middle of a Pulp Fiction scene. Like, there was danger and humor going on at the same time.

So now my wife and I have a new catch-phrase. This morning she asked if I wanted to meet her for dinner tonight. I said, "That's gone be a decision that you hafta make. That's on you."

stinkey, Wally, Uncle Bob and 15 others like this.

2. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Fleetwood, NC
    Geez, that's crazy! I mean, I don't really know what to say. That's probably the last thing you were expecting going to an accountant's office!

TheGoodTexan likes this.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    You took a recommendation from someone high up in government :eek:

4. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Sounds like the Soup **** on Seinfeld has started doing tax returns . . . "No tax work for you! Next"

Wally, Telemarx and Toto'sDad like this.

5. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    You sure you aren't in Florida?

Toto'sDad and dkmw like this.

6. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    You gone hafta find a new accountant. That's on you.

7. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    We had nearly $80K in damages due to Irma; $50K covered by insurance and the rest on us.
    I've always done my own taxes, but, after my third attempt at trying to understand casualty loss deductions I realized my reading comprehension was no match for IRS jargon and/or reasoning.
    I found an accountant on Thumbtack. Maybe it was just dumb luck, but, my experience was the opposite of yours.

Toto'sDad and TheGoodTexan like this.

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

How to find a tax accountant...

Ask one simple question...

What is 2+2?

If they answer 4, you're outta there.

The correct answer is "What do you want it to be?" :D

Cheers,
    Doug

P.S. In no way do I endorse lying, fudging, cheating, or otherwise obfuscating when doing your taxes!

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I can't wait for the next "Should I buy this guitar" thread. I think we may have the latest TDPRI catch phrase.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Better Call Saul!

:lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

11. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2015
    Liverpool. UK.
    Wow what a bizarre experience o_O

TheGoodTexan likes this.

12. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Linda's Bail Bonds and Accounting.

We'll get you out of anything we get you into, at least temporarily.

13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    That made me laugh.

I dread this time of year. We have a very capable tax accountant, but she’s a little difficult sometimes. She’s after me all the time for stuff I consider extremely nit-picky. My wife would like us to look for someone else, but it would take at least $500 of accountant time to bring someone up to speed on all of our moving parts from the past few years.

I have a CPA friend who would be a great alternative, if I was willing to let a friend know every detail of my financial life:eek:

boredguy6060 and Toto'sDad like this.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

We had Master in Taxation blahblahblah accountant for years . Her first question when we called her each year was - "how much do you want back ?"

She also knew so many classmates and instructors either working in the IRS or with contacts in the IRS that she had the pulse on potential audit numbers/audit possibility/percentage of random audits year to year.

And every year she would always add : "Oh what does it matter - you guys are such small potatoes, you're underneath the people that are under the radar, ha ha ha !"

BTW, I'm reading your implied vernacular the way I want to...o_O

wabashslim and Toto'sDad like this.

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Almost every accountant, lawyer, doctor and dentist I know is honest and hard working. Occasionally they fall behind on appointments but in my experience, they shoot out a text advising of any delay. The accountant you went to will probably not be doing taxes again next year. Your problem may have been going to an elected official for a referral. Elected officials all too often make referrals to contributors who may or may not be your best choice. Next time, ask a friend or a trusted colleague in a similar situation who they use. You may also want to steer clear of relatives. That can be like posting your tax return on Facebook.

Toto'sDad likes this.

16. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    We didn't go to an elected official for a referral. I didn't say that.

That's exactly what we did do. The person we asked works for the state of Tennessee, in the budget office. She is a high level accountant that makes sure the numbers submitted by law-makers jive. She was once a tax accountant herself, but then went to work for the state. She once shared an office with the lady whom she suggested.

fredzepplin and Toto'sDad like this.

17. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    We didn't have $80k in damage from Irma, but we did have about $10k in flood damage from the rain of Harvey when it came through. That, plus my wife going to contract work... she worked for 5 different people last year - some of whom withheld taxes, and some did not. And she gets to claim some milage for some of the jobs, but not others.

And I have a housing allowance that we need advice on.

So it was just too much brain power for me to do myself. I'd rather pay a qualified profession a couple of hundred dollars and just say, "Get it done right..." and leave it at that.

Toto'sDad likes this.

18. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    There was once a guy in this area who had a rep as being "good with the performing arts"and credentials included having worked for the IRS and as consultant for a "white shoe" law firm.
    My wife went once, when she had a in home studio space according to her he was sort of like the Ray Liotta character in "Goodfellas" and would say things like "oh you little people w/ your little problems" and flatly refuse to do or answer questions about things like instrument depreciation etc. But some people loved the guy and praised him down to the ground. Eventually he developed a rep of not getting things done in a timely manner & forcing folks to file for extensions. Last report he simply didn't show up one day leaving a lot of people in the lurch.

19. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    Welcome to New Nashville! Ain't it grand? Somehow not surprised that your recommendation came from someone in the state government. Explains a lot about recent decisions they've been making, actually...

TheGoodTexan likes this.

20. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    When I needed a tax accountant, my father-in-law recommended one. I gave the agency a call, and they came to my home to meet me. They were as polite as Japanese people can be, bringing me a gift, and treating me like I was a CEO. Japan is the land of red tape, and getting thigs done requires a fair amount of paperwork, the application of personal and business seals, as well as certificates, permits, etc. Things which are not legal according to the letter of the law are sometimes permitted, and things which are not legally prohibited sometimes may not be practiced. An accountant is very necessary for getting me through such things, and the accountants here are less expensive than those in America.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.