Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you rather have

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Achysklic, Feb 13, 2018.

1. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    To put numbers to it for clarification of where I relatively stand.

Considering new gear

I call gear Expensive in $700 -$1,500 range. Guitars or amps.

Potentially reasonable gear is $500-$700

Affordable gear is under $200-$500.

Cheap is under $200.

there is nothing wrong with cheap as long as it sounds the way you want it to.

There is something way wrong with Expensive if it sounds terrible.

2. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ

3. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    ^^
    That's well put right there. New or used.
    I prefer "good stuff" over "whatdoesitcost".
    And then I also don't want to have "too much money on the road". I've found my satisfying guitars for a gig from 200-500 eur pricerange. There comes a line somewhere, when the guitar is so cheap, that I "don't want show it". And on the other end there's the price that I don't want to pay and carry it with me. It may be ok for some great palyers to play with expencive guitars, but for me - I kind of choose the guitar to reflect my own level. And my amp is the same way, but of course there's matters that define the amp. Not too heavy to carry, not too many things to adjust and "the right sound". So I play through a Fender Ramparte which has the speaker changed. That smells right for me.

Would You like a woman with fat **** and long legs or with fat legs and long ****, I think that's more relevant...

4. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Western New York
    The good thing is that in both areas cheaper options are getting better and better all the time.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    depends which amp and guitar you are talking about

6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

As Winnie the Pooh said when asked whether he'd like milk or honey with his bread, "Both, but never mind the bread."

3fngrs, King Creole and uriah1 like this.

7. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I’d rather have an expensive directional cable that was built to allow all of the electricity and mojo flow in the same direction. THAT is where the tone is.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    The world is changing where gear is concerned. It's changing a lot.

10-20 years ago people people who said MIM was great and you could get a really sweet amp for not much dough were full of crap. That stuff was junk. It wasn't in my head, and I wasn't some elitist cork-sniffer. I was a poor working picker who really couldn't afford nice stuff, but I had it. Because affordable gear just wasn't acceptable for somebody who'd developed a good ear for stuff and had to rely on it every night. It wasn't a small difference.

Fast forward to today- stuff has taken a definite turn. I'm pickier than I've ever been in my life when it comes to what I expect out of a guitar and amp.

I have an amp that cost me $500 brand new that makes me loads happier than the boutique amps I spent $1500-$2500 a piece on.

I have an MIM Nashville tele I spent $800 on that is hands down the best one I've ever owned. It's a little too heavy, and the neck pocket isn't perfect. But it sets up better, plays better and sounds better out of the box than any other electric guitar I've ever owned. Some I spent 3X as much on.

Is this true of all cheap gear across the board? Absolutely not. There's a lot of crap out there. But where I used to look confused and shake my head when people claimed we were living in a golden age for cheap gear with great performance, I now am sure that in certain instances anyhow, it's true.

william tele and brookdalebill like this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    It’s the best time ever to buy new, great gear for very little money.
    I used to pride myself on being able to find a perfectly serviceable rig (guitar and amp) for under $1000.
    Now I can find that same great rig, used on CL or pawnshops for about $500.
    Amps are lighter, louder, more versatile, and cheaper than ever before.
    It’s difficult to find a poorly made new electric guitar, regardless of brand or country of origin.
    Now, if only someone or something would inspire “the kids” (young people, under 30) to want to use it.
    That’s what I’m waiting/hoping for.

P Thought and Jakedog like this.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Right now it's cheap guitars AND amps. MIM and Indonesian guitars and a little Peavey amp I got for $20.00. My pedalboard is probably worth more then either.

11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    But if you reply that you play electric guitar, most people would think you play it through an amp. With electric guitar, the whole signal chain is the instrument. A pipe organ isn't just the keyboard, pedals, and stops; it's the pipes, too.

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    If you limit the choices to your price ranges - amp under $200 with guitar over $700 versus guitar under $200 with amp over $700 - then I'm going with the cheap guitar. I can get a decent guitar for under $200, but I don't think I can get a decent amp for under $200. I'm talking Canadian dollars, of course, which gets me even less.

Can anyone here recommend a good amp that costs less than $200 brand new and is loud enough to use in a band?

13. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    a good amp will make a crappy guitar sound good

a bad amp will make a good guitar sound mediocre or worse

this I know from personal experience

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I think it's perfectly possible and probable that you can find an attractive, comfortable playing, acceptably intonated and good sounding guitar off craigslist for very little money. I also think you can find a great sounding amp with reasonable headroom on craigslist for a few hundred dollars. Probably gig worthy and durable enough to last with good care.

This is the kind of money that, at one time you couldn't even dream of gigging with but would serve a hobby guitar player fine. From that point on it's up to the player to make it sound good.

All my equipment probably falls into the "both inexpensive" category. My favorite tele was $190 and my most gig worthy amps were $400 SFDR and $500 for a Custom Vibrolux Reverb, so by contrast I guess the amps are "high dollar".:lol:

15. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    MIM Fender guitar is great. Gotta have the right amp.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I don't like the idea of placing a dollar value on cheap and expensive, especially in a forum where some are struggling and others are pretty well off. The thread makes sense if cheap is something you can just buy without a second thought. Mid priced may be something you have to put on your card but don't have to worry about. Expensive would be anything beyond that.

When I came back to guitar playing I bought what was for me, a cheap guitar and a cheap amp. My next major purchase was a guitar just on the border of expensive (for me). Everything else has been mid priced. I'm a player, not a collector. Modifying guitars has turned out to be cheap (again by my standards) and I've been able to put together guitars that look, play, and sound like very expensive instruments. I can truly say that I'd rather have what I have now.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    o_O Would you care to take another stab at that sentence?

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    He goes “unplugged”...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.