Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zoom MS-70 CDR on the Way. What Can I Expect?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I needed a basic reverb, but I found one of these new for $100. Does anyone use one? Tips and tricks? Things to be aware of? I'll probably put it in the loop of my amp, but will also use it in front of the amps that have no loop.

2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Great bang for the buck!

I use it's bigger brother, a Zoom G3, on my pedal board. It's my "swiss army knife" of modulation, delays and reverbs. Sounds great, very flexible and a much better build quality than I was expecting.

Here are a few suggestions to get you started.

1: Don't judge the unit by the presets... you are best off building your own patches from scratch.
    2: Watch the gain structure, it can get out of hand. When you add an effect the default setting is often too hot and needs to be dialed back. (Since the MS-70 CDR doesn't included drives and amps, it may not be as bad in this regard)
    3: The ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) is outstanding... at least it is in my G3.
    4: DeTune is one my favorites.... it creates a natural sounding doubling effect, impossible for a delay or a chorus to emulate. Subtle goes a long way with this one.
    5: The "Tape Echo" with no repeats is like adding an EchoPlex EP-3 pre-amp to your chain... it can add a little magic to the entire sound.
    6: The CDR looks like it also comes with the compressors, EQ's and filters... including a couple of compressors that I don't get on my G3. Dig in an look around.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    There’s a guy who developed a utility program to backup and restore patches. It might let you edit parameters, too... I don’t remember. If you search for posts by me about the MS-50G, you’ll probably find the link. It makes life with a Multistomp much easier. It’s inexcusable that Zoom didn’t develop this software on their own.

4. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    london
    I like it and it's on my gigging board. Actually sold my TC Viscous Vibe because I preferred the one on the Zoom

5. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    It showed up today. That was quick. Free shipping from Hong Kong. I think I ordered it on Sunday? Anyway, I spent a few hours with it going through presets and editing them. Not sure how to save things and create my own presets, but I'll work on that tomorrow. Initial observations are that it's pretty good sounding. It'll work for it's intended purposes. And for basic reverbs and combinations of reverbs and delays it should be fine. It's not a Stryman or even as good as some of my rack gear. But I'm looking forward to creating my own sounds and trying them with the band. Part of me wishes I'd bought a designated reverb pedal, but I'm willing to work with it and see what I can get out of it. And right now the reverb pedal I'm lusting after is the Source Audio and that's way over budget.

6. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana

7. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I don't have my Win 10 machine set up and the laptop runs Vista, so I can't use it. But I did download it to a USB drive so I can try it later.

8. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Spent the afternoon listening to and editing presets and creating some patches of my own. I made a simple always on kind of Delay-Reverb using a basic delay and the plate reverb. I was mixing in other modulation and delay pedals and overdrives and just got lost to the music. I have the manual on my laptop so I can remember how to do things. It's pretty simple once you do it a few times.

It's amazing how much they've packed into one little pedal. I'm happy I got it. I've got about four presets to use that covers the basics. I'll dig deeper as time goes by. Fun!

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    It's new so probably up to date but there was a firmware update that added a bunch of new effects so might be worth checking if it's up to date.

Eq>pitch detune>reverb is one of my fav patches I wrote for it.

10. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto

11. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Mine is a brand new updated version.

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    It’s a super pedal

13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Where stuff is placed in the chain can have a dramatic effect.
    I assembled a patch last night with:
    Grey Comp>Para Eq>Fender Deluxe>a reverb timed to slap>a Tape Delay
    I was playing stuff from Dark Side of the Moon

<ed. btw, that’s the G3n>

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I've had my MS-70CDR for a few weeks now. I really like the raw effects. As was stated above, the patches that come in the pedal are not that great (some absolutely crazy in fact - who would want that crap?) My only complaint is that it doesn't have good features for live foot switching. But the USB port actually supports some limited MIDI controls, and I am about to pull the trigger on a MIDI controller that will provide a better live performance experience.

A demo of the MIDI controller that I am considering buying is here:

As for saving, loading and editing patches, I like this:

https://g200kg.github.io/zoom-ms-utility/

Its web based (nothing to install if your browser is compatible)

I'd love to find a site that has free shared patches. But I am slowly building my own presets, and if I come up with anything worthwhile, I would share mine.

15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I hadn’t checked this in a while...
    As for their patches, not a single one is usable for me.
    I saved a blank, clean, patch to every location... then made all my own. I love cheap toys that I could literally take anywhere.

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I was wondering if you might be willing to export some (or all) of your patches using the utility I references, and share them. I also found the majority of the patches to be unusable for my style and tastes. I'd love to see what you've built.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.